Friday, October 3, 2008

Om and Jerry


The Mets have resigned Omar Minaya through 2012. The Minaya era has been much like the facts of life; You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have it. Last offseason captured Omar's reign in microcosm . He surrendered next to nothing to acquire the world's best pitcher. But he also gave up one of the most impressive youngsters in the sport for a platoon left fielder and an aging backup catcher. In sum, I don't think I would have brought Omar back, but I won't argue too passionately against his return.

Apparently the Mets want to bring back Jerry Manuel, but only for a two year deal. Jerry Manuel is holding out for an extra year. Now I understand that a two year contract really only guarantees him one year at the helm. If the Mets tank again next season, Jerry would clearly get the ax. So I can understand his reservations. But here's a little unsolicited advice for Jerry Manuel; Sign that contract NOW! As much as I hope I'm wrong, the Mets will probably make the playoffs next season. They will add a couple of quality pieces and avoid some of the horrendous luck they had this year. Right or wrong, Manuel would get the lion's share of the credit for turning the Mets around and receive the contract extension he desires.

If Jerry insists on playing hardball, the great Bobby Valentine is waiting in the wings. He's a bit of a scumbag for undermining Manuel's negotiations, by expressing his interest in the Mets managerial position. But Bobby V is a winner. Last season I even argued that the Yankees should hire him over Girardi or Mattingly.

In the absence of a better conclusion, I would like to count the ways in which the headline of this post is terrible...


  1. All puns stink

  2. Nobody abbreviates Minaya's (or any other fella named Omar) name "Om"

  3. Even if Omar was routinely abbreviated "Om", it would undoubtedly rhyme with "home", not "Tom".

If you can think of any others, let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Minayacal for Manuel labor?

Ahh, shut up, my parents are immigrants.

Anonymous said...

The mets should hire Sandy Alderson