Monday, September 29, 2008

Timing is Nothing

The advent of this blog has all the timing of a Herm Edwards offense in a two-minute drill.* My focus is New York baseball and neither the Yankees or Mets will play another game for more than six months. I'm a week late to write my lukewarm ode to Yankee Stadium and another good riddance to Shea would just be overkill. Since the Yanks have been dead since August, the only topical issue to discuss is the Mets second consecutive collapse.

Full disclosure: I am a Yankee fan, who despises the Mets nearly as much as I love my own team. Nothing made me happier than seeing Met after bassless-voiced Met (Elias is reporting that no team since the '44 St. Louis Browns has had a greater collection of players with pre-pubescent voices) try to explain this one to the beat writers in the postgame show.** However I feel that I have a great ability to put aside my hatred for the club and fairly analyze the club.

Later tonight I will offer my thoughts on what happened to them. But first a few things that were not part of the problem:

  • Team chemistry
  • Lack of leadership
  • A bunch of choke artists
  • Bad karma

These sorts of non-explanations are almost always a cop-out for lazy analysts.

(* Good job Tremont! Your first reference on a NY baseball blog, is the Kansas City Chiefs head coach

** That clunker of a sentence couldn't fit comfortably in the backseat of a Town Car)

No comments: