Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cashman Returns


Thank goodness. Brian Cashman will remain the Yankees GM through 2011. This is more than a mere formality, as I feared that he would consider fleeing the Bronx pressure cooker for a more relaxed rebuilding gig (perhaps Washington or Seattle). Despite holding his position for 11 seasons, Cashman is arguably the sport's most difficult general manager to fairly evaluate. Other parties within the Yankee organization have been so influential in baseball operations that it is nearly impossible to determine who was responsible for any given transaction.

Count me among those who give Cashman the benefit of the doubt. Wrestling fans would refer to me as a Cashman "mark". In the absense of inside information, I assume Cashman deserves credit for every smart move and assign blame to the Tampa faction for every poor organizational decision. Yes, this is foolish. But until proven otherwise, I remain a true believer.

No comments: